See the Kitchen page for more details on the changes here. Originally the formal dining room was located here next to the kitchen. We moved it into the double Parlor to create a great room, combination open family room and kitchen. This area of the house is at the rear, more private away from the tourists who photograph the front of the house.
The wall where the fireplace and chimney were was removed to open up into the kitchen and allow for an island. This required major seismic upgrades including a steel I-Beam in the ceiling, steel posts down 2 stories to the foundation concrete and additional shear wall reinforcement.
Light pours in from the outside to both rooms through a newly installed NanaWall SL60 4 panel window wall in the kitchen. LED ceiling lighting was added throughout for better illumination. You can see the railing for the sliding rolling library ladder in the kitchen allowing the extension of an additional row of cabinets to take advantage of the 12′ ceiling height. We put less used items up there – like holiday bakewear etc. The family room-facing row of cabinets you see on the island are only 6″ deep, allowing for additional pantry space. Seating for 5 possible at the island.
Triple wrapped crown was added to both rooms to create a more modern look yet tie into the parlor and foyer original plaster crown. The upper original redwood trim on all the windows was salvaged and we found identical casings and rosettes still available today from a moulding shop to tie into the parlor and entrance. We had replica baseboard milled from poplar in the Eastlake pattern and used throughout which tied rooms together. Maple hardwood was installed in both rooms and continues on to the foyer and parlor.
- Paint: walls Benjamin Moore Aura in Hidden Cove CSP-1030 Matte finish; crown Regal Select Waterborne Interior in Swiss Coffee OC-45 Pearl finish
- Hardwood floor: Shaw Floors Nantucket 4 (4” Maple) in Cisco Beach 00636
- Window treatments: Hunter Douglas Designer Screen Shade Constellation 5% solar block in Vanilla with Stainless Steel Chain
- Island pendants from Restoration Hardware, Harmon 15″ in satin nickel.
- Area rug: Shaw Floors See It Now in Castlebar Style: CCP08 Color: 00555
- Photo credit: Mitch Shenker Studio