The changes to the kitchen and family room area were the most intense part of the remodel. We found the kitchen was quite dark and lacked cabinet space. It dated back at least 40 years. Where you see the original vent/range on the left there was a wall with a brick chimney that was not structurally sound. Part of the chimney collapsed in the 1989 Loma Prieta quake. The french doors and surrounding windows leading to the deck were rotted out and not functioning well. Plumbing and electrical were in need of urgent repair with short circuits happening to the outlet for the fridge. That circuit connected over 15 appliances and outlets spanning 3 floors as a patchwork of cabling! Dry rot around the chimney and french doors allowed mice to get in.
The wall and chimney leading to the family room were removed to make way for an island with cabinets, bar sink and seating for up to 5 from the family room side. This required placement of a steel I-beam in the ceiling and steel posts down 2 stories to the concrete foundation. The windows next to the wall cabinets were closed off to extend cabinetry the full length of the room. Cabinetry was further extended to take advantage of the 12′ high ceilings by adding a sliding rolling library ladder and rail system.
A 10′ x 10′ NanaWall was added to replace the hodge podge of french door and surrounding windows to the deck, greatly illuminating the kitchen, dining and family rooms. The NanaWall has 4 panels, 3 on the left and 1 on the right that completely open up to the outdoors. The first panel in the 3 panel side also serves as a door, for faster opening to get herbs etc. A 5′ distance between island and wall counter allows for easy movement both sides even when the dishwasher is open. Window and door casings, baseboard were rebuilt to match the Parlor.
- Decora Daladier style cabinets in Chantille white color, 24” deep but placed for 30” counter depth;
- Counter and island: Quartz in Snow White; Counter 30” wide x 12’ and Island 44” wide x 9’ 7.5” with 12” overhang for 5 seating stools
- Backsplash: Shaw Floors Mixed Up Brushed Aluminum in Brushed Suede color
- Hardwood floor: Shaw Floors Nantucket 4 (4” Maple) in Cisco Beach 00636
- Paint: walls Benjamin Moore Aura Bath & Spa in Hidden Cove CSP-1030 Matte finish; crown Regal Select Waterborne Interior in Swiss Coffee OC-45 Pearl finish
- Appliances: Dacor all stainless steel: DYRP36DS/NG 36” Discovery Duel Fuel 6 burner Range; EH3618SCH 36” Renaissance Epicure Wall Hood; DYF48BIWS 48” Discovery Built-In Refrigerator/freezer; RDW24S Renaissance Dishwasher; MMD24S 24” Discovery Microwave in Drawer; Miele DGC4086XL Combi Steam Oven
- DXV Fresno Culinary Kitchen Faucet (main sink); Fresno Pull Down Kitchen Faucet (island); Orchard 30″ Stainless Steel kitchen sink (main sink); Prevoir (American Standard) Undermount stainless steel sink (island); Contemporary soap dispenser
- NanaWall SL60RL 4 panel with French door in second panel, brushed satin stainless levers, powder coat color: AN-YA200U Bone White, sill color Dark Bronze
- Kitchen ladder: Rockler kit in maple painted Swiss Coffee, satin nickel hardware
- Pendant lights: Restoration Hardware Harmon 15”
- Ceiling cans Halo RL460WH (same throughout house)
- Photo credit: Mitch Shenker Studio