The master bedroom (and entire bedroom floor for that matter) were gutted to studs and re-organized to make better use of the space. We made a 3 bedroom 2 bath floor into a 4 bedroom+ 3 bath + laundry room with decent sized closets for every room.
In the master bedroom, the sole tiny closet was removed and expanded to make room for the laundry room, which eliminated the need to walk down two 12′ flights of stairs to the garage to do laundry. Two closets were added – one with two french doors on the back side of the laundry room and a second walk in closet opposite side. A chimney and fireplace were removed from this room allowing for a flat wall space to place the bed, where no flat space existed before.
Triple wrapped crown was used for a similar look to the original house, albeit more contemporary. Door casings including rosettes were rebuilt to original with still available today materials. The same maple hardwood flooring was used to match the hallway and lower main floor, tying both floors together nicely. Since there are 8 windows in this room requiring blinds (4 in each alcove you see) we chose Hunter Douglas PowerRise shades for ease in controlling these. They have a nice valence that blends in well with the trim.
- Hardwood floor: Shaw Floors Nantucket 4 (4” Maple) in Cisco Beach 00636
- Paint: Benjamin Moore Aura in Upper West Wide CSP-70 Matte finish
- Closet Organizers: Container Store Elfa in Platinum metal
- Window Treatments: Hunter Douglas Designer Roller Shade Amalfi in Province White with PowerRise battery operated
- Area rugs: Shaw Floors Surface Impressions in Stone Style: CCS32 Color: 00510
- Cabinets: Decora Harmony in Confection 27” deep with toe kick
- Countertop: Quartz Crema Ivory
- Field Tile: Shaw Floors Sophia in Toscana; 1/16” spacing, tiles offset 1/3 2/3 on floor
- Backsplash: Shaw Mixed Up Brushed Aluminum in Brushed Suede color, 6” high
- Paint: Benjamin Moore Aura Bath & Spa in Plaster of Paris CSP-185 Matte finish
- DXV: Fresno Pull Down Faucet; Orchard 30” Stainless Steel Sink
- Washer: Maytag Maxima MHW7100DW (washer and dryer in one); Dryer: Maytag Maxima MGD5100DW (with steam cycle) mounted on pedestals and fit just below cabinets.
- Photo credit: Mitch Shenker Studio